Friday, August 29, 2008

Scrapblocks

I call these SCRAPBLOCKS...

(Probably should have turned the blocks around before I took the picture, so the letters were going the same way)


I finally finished making my scrapblocks. I love them! I saw these in someone's house and attempted to make them myself and it worked. I tried to find a tutorial online on how to make these and I couldn't really find what I was looking for. So I wanted to share with you how to make them if you wanted to. The following is an attempted tutorial.

First, I went and bought a 4x4 from Lowes. Then my husband cut the wood into blocks for me.


Then the sanding began. I tried to sand them by hand, but that made my hand sore and took a long time. So I went and bought a sander. I have to say that I love power tools. The sander was awesome and made the sanding so much easier.


After I sanded the blocks, I wiped off each block so they were clean and there was no more sand dust on them.

Then the fun started! I measured different papers to each side of the block and measured my pictures out. Added embellishments. I used mod podge to glue the papers down and then I put another coat of mod podge over the paper, so it is more durable. I put a letter on each block that spells out "family" when the blocks are all stacked together.

Overall, this is a cute project and I enjoyed making them.

12 comments:

Debbie Y. said...

I love the scrapblocks. I am a scrapper and will have to try this. A neat way to show off photos.

Congrats on being a saucy blog.

Penelope said...

I love those scrapblocks! What a great idea! I just might have to try this, myself.

Nichole said...

Visiting you from SITS. Love the scrap blocks! Think I may need to try those...
Have a great weekend!

Summer said...

Hey saucy lady! Congrats! Love your stuff!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Love this! This would look great on my desk.
Congrats on your saucy week.

Bramblemoon Farm said...

Wow, what a cool idea! Thanks so much for sharing it:) These would be neat in my daughter's room. She's 8. I could spell her name instead!

Anonymous said...

Those are so adorable. I would somehow mess that up I'm sure. Possibly end up with glue in my hair or some sort of freak sander injury. Congrats on the saucy blog though.

Lynda said...

How adorable! And congrats on being featured as a SITS Saucy blog!

Nessa said...

Hi! I found you via SITS and I'm loving your blog!

These are too cute! Great idea!

The Cairns Family said...

Wow these are AWESOME!!! I love the idea thanks for posting the instructions I am going to do them for my upcoming Super Saturday!!!! I am SO excited! :)

Congrats on being a saucy blog

Linda said...

Love these! I was going to make a small quilt w/ family pics on it (we live far from family) for my granddaughter-but I think I'll do blocks instead... put far away family on them and her name. Thanks!
Now, wonder if we have a sander...

ba and the boys said...

i hiope this isnt a dumb question, but how did you use modge podge on photos and didnt get them all yucky? (im coming from tip junkie)
thanks